Mini resolutions for the willpower-less and short attention spanned.

Mini resolutions for the willpower-challenged and short-attention-spanned.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Welcome

What?

Welcome to The Monthly Project! Each year I attempt New Year's resolutions, but find that it's hard to stick to them. For examples of previous and overly ambitious resolutions see here (although I basically achieved the green thing). And here (actually, did manage the off auto settings, a mere two years later). And here. I have also, on numerous occasions, also sworn off resolutions, as seen here and here.  Ahem. So here I am, living proof that resolving really does not always work. 

2012 was a little different, however, because although I still set myself overly ambitious goals for the whole-year, I also set myself a series of monthly goals. I did this a few times in 2012, fairly successfully. So this blog is an attempt to try out monthly goals.

Why?

My theory behind the Monthly Project is that if I set myself small, manageable goals with an end point in sight, I'm more likely to achieve them.  (Note: There is, I believe, a body of research behind resolutions and their utter failure, but I feel that's something for folks to google rather than back up this project with anything vaguely methodical or scientific. That's for a far more serious endeavour).
I've not much of an attention span, and I like ticking off things on lists, that sort of thing, so short-term goals make me feel rather proud and provide a sense of accomplishment. 

And, in some cases, the shorter goals may well end up sticking more than a big resolution.  A basic one such as washing my face every night has led to me doing that more or less every night (yes, I know I should have been doing that anyway, and yet).  While I don't do crosswords every day, I'm doing them a lot more since my "do one every day" month last year.

How?

Of course, there are some ground rules for these monthly goals.  They can't just be "go to the gym 12 times" each month.  They have to be different as we go along.  Goals involving exercise, in particular, are troubling and therefore I do want to do something specific and not a mere "lose weight" one. Additionally, if I have a goal that involves exercise then I also must have one that enriches my brain or soul. Maximum number of goals is three per month.

Where?

Although I'll be continuing with my regular blogging at gracegoesabroad, my main way to track these goals is here.  I like to compartmentalise.  And to blog.

When?

At least once a month, with hopefully a mid-month update, each month in 2013.  We'll see how we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment